NEW TV show – Gotham
Ever wondered how the police department of Gotham City solved crimes without the constant help of Batman? No? Oh well, regardless, it was just announced last week that Fox acquired the rights to a TV show called Gotham. With Bruno Heller (creator of Rome (HBO) and The Mentalist (CBS)) at the helm of the show, Gotham will follow “the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous”.
Now, I have to admit, I am a little bit confuse about this. If this show is about the early career of James Gordon before Batman existed, doesn’t that mean that the famous villains don’t exist yet too? Either way, I’m still interested about this, because I have hope that it can potentially turn out to be similar to Gotham Central. Especially if the producers of the show can somehow get Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka to write some episodes. However, both of them confirmed they haven’t been contacted for this tv show… yet. Here’s what Greg Rucka at to say about it on his tumblr :
Since this announcement, I’ve been getting a lot of questions about whether or not I’m involved in the show, and whether or not it’s drawing from or inspired by the work Ed, Michael, and I did on Gotham Central for DC Comics.
I offer the following answers:
- I was as surprised and delighted as everyone to hear they were making a “young Gordon” cop show.
- As far as I know, this has nothing to do with Gotham Central.
- If it did have anything to do with Gotham Central, that wouldn’t matter, because DC owns the rights and the characters, as they should. This was work-for-hire, something all of us knew at the start.
- I have not been contacted by anyone involved.
- I would be delighted to be contacted by anyone involved 😉
- I wish FOX and DC Entertainment success with the show.
That’s it. No drama, no trauma.
Looking forward to seeing it.
Honestly, as long as they give us good stories and try to include as much side characters as possible (my wish list so far for the detectives is at least Bullock and Montoya), I’m sure I’ll enjoy this new TV show.
Who do you think they should cast as James Gordon?